Monday, March 23, 2020

Into the Unknown

My kindergartner was singing while she colored this morning. Her song of choice happened to be "Into the Unknown" from Disney's Frozen II.  Yes, darling, yes. This couldn't be more true right now.

As we enter the second week of the 2020 Covid-19 Pandemic (I keep wondering what this time will be called years from now...), I generated a list of themes from week one, in hopes that it will help me to be wiser and more present this week.

Before I share my words, I came across an image that Elizabeth Gilbert (@elizabeth_gilbert_writer) (author of Eat, Pray, Love / City of Girls / Big Magic) posted to her Instagram that resonated with me:



My mind has been flooded with thoughts and I have continuously reminded myself to be present and put my focus on what really matters.  So, this is the perfect opportunity to launch into the themes I identified while reflecting over the last 7 days.  



Savoring this TIME!  
Days have seemed to crawl, but this doesn't feel like a negative thing.  It can be challenging to find time to get all of "my" tasks complete, but I have truly loved the time I have gotten to spend with my kids: watching them play, explore, learn.  I just want to soak it in and remember all of the details.

Control...
In my last post, I shared the schedule we had fallen into after a few days.  An attempt to grasp some control over an uncontrollable situation, right?  I found myself at the end of the week with multiple list. Lists for work. Lists for keeping the kids busy. Lists for cleaning and organizing. Lists for relaxing (seriously!)🙄

Be Flexible. I think I can. I think I can!
Between cancellations of social gatherings, appointments, and our family spring break trip to Florida, we have had to just roll with it.  It has helped to put my phone away so I am not constantly inundated with COVID-19 updates.  Also, kids.  Being with my kids 24/7 requires the understanding that what I thought would be our plans for the day will likely be adjusted. Kids will be kids.


Stay Positive
I have committed to doing something for me each day: Read a book for fun, workout, write, talk with a friend, laugh with my family.  (I'll be starting Untamed by Glennon Doyle next!)

I know I am not alone in feeling a like my mind is swirling and trying to get hold of some control while balancing this unique time with my family.  My goal for this week is to not be so consumed with my lists and the need to be on a perfect schedule. Rather, I will focus on the small moments snuggling on the couch, write letters to friends with my kids, read together, watch movies, and ultimately savoring this time we have been given to slow down and be together.

💗 Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment